Friday, April 01, 2005

Berger Will Plead Guilty To Taking Classified Paper (washingtonpost.com)

Berger Will Plead Guilty To Taking Classified Paper (washingtonpost.com)

Long ago and far away, I once maintained a security clearance, Top Secret at that. The list of "dos and don'ts" is long, very clear and drummed into the brains of each clearance holder. Sandy Berger knew, without any doubt, that as he stuffed classified material down his undies and in his socks he was committing a felony that would earn him a sizable fine and jail time. Trust me, had I taken documents home, I would still be living off "government assistance".

His punishment - $10,000 fine and 3 year suspension of his clearance. This sends so many wrong messages, I wouldn't even know where to start. It is obvious that the security of our country still takes a back seat to politics.

No comments: