Sunday, February 13, 2005

Off to Haiti

Off to Haiti

Well, tomorrow is the day our little band heads off to Haiti. I am looking forward to the adventure, but mainly to having some impact that allows the people we will work with to get a handle on life.

All the things that pop into my head to say sound a bit trite. Having never been there, I have no real expectations. The group I am traveling with are part of a larger group that make many trips a year. All tell the same tails of poor living conditions, no clean water, poor sanitation, no communication or infrastructure - - - the list is long and disheartening. When the opportunity came up for me to go, I really could not say no. How can a person take a pass on helping these folks?? And, since I have a broad range of technical experience – radio communication, solar power, wilderness survival – I felt I would not just be taking up a seat, but actually contributing is a real way.

I received a parish blessing at Mass this morning. I am humbled that the parish is praying for our group, embarrassed at the attention and pleased with myself that I stepped up and am going. It is an odd mix, but there it is.

I have completed packing, feels like an extended wilderness Scout trip. I took no shelter equipment, doubled the size of my first aid kit, took 2 water filtration systems, water purification tablets/liquid, good boots and 3 sets of all clothes.

I took communications gear, 2 GPS systems since I will be required to plot out villages, 2 compasses and accurate maps.

And, a minimal stash of food: 5 day packs each containing: 2 oatmeal, 4 granola bars and 4 meat sticks. Worst comes to worst, that should hold me over.

And personal gear: MP3 player with radio, camera with CF cards for 800 photos and a crap load of batteries.

I have set aside all the stories I have been reading in their news of rebel forces in the region we seem to be going into. I am not sure we would present the kind of target they would be interested in. Over all, the reports from others traveling there is that things are fairly quiet and as long as we stay out of “troubled areas” we will be fine. I trust we will. And, I am hoping that since this is a church trip, we may have some extra protection. I have never been one to expect God to protect me. But I have always thought that if I live my life well, do what is right and thank God for allowing me to make a difference where I can, that my life will unfold as He wants it to. On the day I stand before Him, I simply want to say I did the best I could and to thank Him for His love. That day will arrive whether I am in Haiti or walking across a street.

I appreciate any and all prayers for our little group. I will post a full trip report when I return, probably over the last weekend of this month. Until then.

No comments: