Monday, January 31, 2005

A weekend in the snow - Winter Event 2005

Those of you who know me and have read my blog for awhile realize one of my personal commitments is to the Scouting program. (For a comprehensive view of our troop, look at Troop47.com). There is something very satisfying about seeing a young boy grow from a little boy learning about living in the wilderness to a young man comfortable, no matter what the environment. Perhaps the hardest thing to teach is the skill of being warm and contented while living outside in the winter.

Each year we participate in a Winter Event. After a day of games, we adjourn to our campsite, cook, sit around the fire, and enjoy the scouts. I declare this year a resounding success! We won 4 ribbons, had some GREAT food (blueberry pancakes, deep fried catfish, shepherds pie) and good weather. And, the boys stayed warm, brought dry clothes for after their "play" time, slept great and were home early afternoon on Sunday. For those who have not enjoyed sleeping outside in the winter - try it! It is peaceful and enjoyable, just dress warm!

A photos of one of our activities!

1 comment:

Paris Travel Courtesan said...

Well done boys! Shepherds Pie? I am surprised.. Thats very english.. When its done correctly its just mouthwatering... hmmmm Pancakes.... Do you do the cooking? I remember a similar winter with friends in Sweden. Peaceful and enjoyable indeed!!!! Great comment you posted on my blog... Do you like Art, then read my new entry.. Do not forget to invite me next winter, okay....?????

Regards

Kathleen